I have been giving some thought tonight about forgiveness. Not just the kind you should give others or you will be given if you are a Christian. I am talking about you forgiving yourself. There is a song performed by A Perfect Circle titled "Thomas". Here are the lyrics.
Humble and helpless
Learning to pray
Praying for visions
to Show me the way
Show me the way to forgive you
Allow me to let it go
Allow me to be forgiven
Show me the way to let go
Show me the way to forgive you
Allow me to let it go
Allow me to be forgiven
Show me the way to let go
Illuminate me,
Illuminate me,
Illuminate me,
I'm just praying for you to show me
Where I'm to begin
Hoping to
Hoping to reconnect to you..
Now for me this song is a conversation we should have with ourselves. I know there are things I have done that I am less than proud of. I would challenge everyone to close yourself in a room with a mirror and say this to yourself. Can you do it? I guess I have just realized how important our time here is, and you know we are not getting more of it. So why carry this this burden of all the dumb stuff you have done. Try to love yourself and quit being the victim of one more self imposed limit. I know it is always easier said than done and it will be a long road ahead, but you have to let yourself off the hook.
For me I need to let go of all the time I wasted being pissed off or the fact I did not apply myself in school to reach my full potential. I know I screwed the pooch with these things and it is still hard to admit I wasted so many years filled with hate. So my light is all the good I have in my life despite my short comings, my wife seems to think I am pretty good even after 8 years of marriage.
I guess my point is try everyday to do right and when you screw up learn from it and forgive yourself.
As Always Party On and Find Joy In Your Life.
What a beautiful message! I know we all have regrets about the things we should have done or the mistakes we have made. Deciding what to do with those regrets is part of the forgiveness you write about. How much time and energy we give our past that can't be changed! So much more enlightened to use our time to find what makes us happy, let go of our mistakes and forgive ourselves. Very wise advice indeed.
ReplyDelete