Monday, May 28, 2012

My Grandfather, Howard Caine Moore



I have many fond memories of my Grandfather. Even early on we had a very special bond. I remember him playing the piano and organ, and how he made such a big deal over us grandkids and eventually great- grandkids. I will remember how he told the same stories to us grandkids. I know his favorite to tell was how he met grandma after he returned home from the service. Then he could go on to tell you about when each of his kids was born, then when each grandkid was born. He used to tell me about the night I was born and how he worried watching his grandson be worked on by doctors and seeing the tubes in my chest.  You could see the emotion on his face, then he would smile and say, “But then I look at you now and I don’t know why I worried”.

He often told me of his time in the Army during World War 2. I remember him telling of how home sick he was and missing his family. He would talk about the bitter cold in the winter of ’44-’45.  He also told me of serving in a small German village after the war had ended.  He would often end an Army story with I just hope none of my kids or grandkids ever have to go through something like that.

After I graduated high school, in a somewhat less than traditional manner, he told me how proud he was of me, and he and grandma took me to a jewelry store downtown and had his old black onyx ring resized for me. The ring is part of a cufflink worn by John Thomas Caine who served as a representative for the territory of Utah. I remember seeing and being fascinated by this ring from a young age and now this cherished family heirloom was passed to my care.

Grandpa often said the two best decisions he made were marrying Grandma and working for the Deseret News. He loved photography and working as a photographer, he documented a lot of Utah History in his 40+ year career.  He took many award winning photos.  He also served on the city council for South Salt Lake City for many years.  He was over the Police and Fire departments for a time and also over the water department for the city.

The Saturday before he passed away my wife and I were up at the VA for a visit. As bad as he felt he still smiled and said to us “See that little blonde gal (he thought Grandma’s white hair was blonde) that’s my little sweetheart” His last word to me were about the love of his life, and that says a lot and will stick with me forever.


1 comment:

  1. I was hoping you would blog about your grandfather. He was a kind and fortunate man who left behind a legacy of accomplishment and love. By writing (and talking) about him, you honor his memory and carry the best parts of him that live on in you...

    ReplyDelete