Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The strangers on the wall

Friday night marked the passing of my last uncle on the Perkins side. His passing has marked the third Perkins passing in ten months. My family still feeling the effects of our patriarch's death now faces the burying of the youngest of the four brothers. I go from sadness and anger to numbness and confusion. I feel the need to be strong for my father and grandmother, who are now the only ones left from the core family. I feel some comfort knowing Kent, Barry, Kevin, and Gramps are together for the first time in almost eleven years. Those of us left behind will try to find comfort with that thought and each other. I know the family gatherings will be missing some very familiar energy.

Facing these losses has set me to thinking about the fact of having children. My kids will never get to meet their great grandpa Perkins, great uncles Barry, Kent, and Kevin. How will I explain the strangers on the wall to them. I guess I would start with Gramps. I will tell them of his wise counsel, strong work ethic, his wit and humor, and how he could fix or build anything including a family. I will remember him smiling and asking his question "How's Work?" He kept his positive attitude even facing his final hours. If we could all approach life a little more like Gramps we would do well.

For the uncles I will tell them of how Kevin was a man who loved to hunt and fish. How he always had a joke and that his nickname was "Caveman" for very good reasons. I will tell them how Barry was easy going loved fishing and how he was kind almost to a flaw. Barry had a way of going over the top for his nieces and nephews with gifts. He also had a warm smile and great dry sense of humor.  Kent will be remembered as the man in the middle of the room. If there was a crowd and they were laughing you could bet Kent was at the center. He loved to get people rolling on the ground with laughter. He possessed a sharp mind, and could keep the wit an humor going for hours.  Even with his horrible illness Kent refused to quit smiling and making everyone around him feel cheerful.

I know the stories will go on and the memory of these men will continue with us. I am glad that some of the youngest members of the Perkins clan will have some memories and I hope they pass those on. I know I will do all I can to keep them from becoming The Strangers on the Wall.

Gramps, Barry, Kevin, Kent I miss you all.

1 comment:

  1. Your post was very well written. I think you have discovered that writing your thoughts is cathartic and healing. Your memories shape your heart and by sharing them with others, you grant these people you have loved a beautiful immortality. Keep writing...good stuff!

    ReplyDelete